How Chiropractors Can Help Relieve Migraines
Do you have recurrent migraines that repeatedly lower the quality of your life? The good news is that you are not alone. Many people suffer from migraines, some more severe than others. If you have already spoken to your doctor and gotten some medication yet still need further treatment, it may be time to consider alternative therapies offered by chiropractors near you.
What Are Migraines?
It is a type of headache that varies in intensity and is considered more severe than a typical headache. A migraine headache can range from mild to severe condition. Unfortunately, migraines are unpredictable and can easily put a stop to your normal life routines. Still, migraine headaches can be identified by monitoring the recurring pattern and noting down the affiliated symptoms that occur during your headaches. Migraines often have symptoms like:
- Sensitivity to light
- Nausea and vomiting
- Stiff neck and shoulders
- Sensitivity to noise
- Vision problems – blurry or double vision
Chronic migraine is more serious than acute migraine, with patients experiencing up to about 15 migraines monthly. Such high cases of migraines increase your risk of suffering heart-related diseases and strokes.
What Triggers Migraines?
Although the particular cause of migraine headaches is yet to be established, some of the following factors will trigger them:
- Intense physical activity
- Stress, anxiety, over-excitement, and fatigue
- Sudden bright lights
- Flickering lights – as in nightclubs or some TV shows.
- Poor sitting and sleeping posture
- Hormonal imbalances – these types of migraines are common two days before and after menstruation, during pregnancy, or menopause.
- Caffeine withdrawal or taking too much caffeine
- Skipping meals
- Sensory triggers – like strong scents, loud noises, or stuffy rooms.
Chiropractic Care for Migraines
Generally, migraines have no known cure. The best a doctor can do is press curve medication to alleviate the symptoms you experience. If the underlying cause of your migraine can be pinned down, then you have a better chance of treating your migraine. With that, many patients with migraines opt for alternative treatment approaches that may help better manage their headaches.
Chiropractic approaches to migraine focus on addressing tension and stiffness in the neck and shoulder region. A chiropractor near you will not ask you to get off of your prescribed nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Instead, while you take them, chiropractic treatment will work on addressing other factors in your body.
How Does Chiropractic Treatment for Migraines Work?
Chiropractic care in Traverse City, MI, niched for migraines focuses on the cervical area of your spine. The adjustment and treatment techniques employed include:
- Spinal manipulation – is a primary treatment in chiropractic centers. For Migraines, spinal manipulation is done to influence the alignment of the cervical spine.
- Massage therapy – targeting your upper body through kneading and placing pressure on the muscles and joints thereof. Massage therapy is crucial for alleviating stress and reducing facial clenching.
- Myofascial release massage – targeted on connective tissues and membranes of the supporting muscles.
- Trigger point therapy – targets the tense muscle layers in your back.
- Posture correction and alignment – on-site and at-home adjustments to correct your posture and promote natural stretching of your spine.
Benefits of Chiropractic Care for Migraines
Many of our patients at Diversified Chiropractic need to know about the advantages of therapeutic approaches before considering them. Some benefits of chiropractic treatments for Migraine headaches include:
- Gaining independence from medication – migraines have no known cure. It means that for the foreseeable future, you will be taking prescribed medication to manage your symptoms. With chiropractic care, you can obtain independence from prescribed medication, either by reducing the dosage or getting off them for a while.
- Non-surgical approach – not every treatment should result in surgery. With migraines, chiropractors offer a non-invasive approach to alleviating pain and mitigating affiliate symptoms.
- Safe for high-risk patients – generally, chiropractic care is termed safe for all patients. However, you will appreciate more the benefits of such a treatment for high-risk patients like pregnant women.
- It helps avoid side effects linked to taking medication –medicine has side effects on your body, especially when you use it for a prolonged period. Chiropractic care can be your ticket out of drug-related side effects.